November 14, 2010

As If Someone Is Interested - Cleaning Up a Sea Cucumber


Clean Cut up Sea Cucumber

As a child, I've seen snakes hanged, skinned and cleaned up. A prey too soon, with those that had fallen prey to it, still intact.  I've watched our cook go through all the necessary procedures of feeding a chick to it becoming a delicacy on the dining table.

To share a childhood secret, I had seriously wondered if I'd ever pluck up courage to hold the chicken still, tilting its head, showing a part of the neck plucked of feathers with my left hand, wielding a knife with my right hand.  Reminiscing now, I am thankful that my father never imposed that I  should learn how to get the life out of a chicken if I want to enjoy fried chicken in the future.  I am thankful that he simply encouraged me to watch and learn.

In short, don't worry about what you would see in the following photos.  To rate how high your standard of decency is, here's a clue. It feels like a soft slippery bar of soap in your hands. It is easier to clean than fresh fish,  slit it open lengthwise,  no foul smell, just the feel of seaweeds and sand on your fingers.  Enjoy!

ready to be cleaned


no choice as to size

How offensive can it get?
Simply push the seaweeds off in running water
with both thumbs.




Use a brush to rid of these white stuff in the crevices.
This is how clean it can get.






2 comments:

  1. Thanks Becky, I never had to clean a sea cucumber before since I buy them cleaned and ready to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Deb. I have bought dried ones and you can imagine what I went through. It was fun though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...