November 11, 2010

What's Cooking - Rice Noodle with Squash & Ground Pork


I was craving for fried rice noodle on my way home from class at 10:00 pm tonight
so I dropped by Taiwan Sugar, a grocery store, for frozen ground pork,
and went to the organic store beside it for the rice noodle and onions. 
I thought I've got everything until I caught sight of this lone squash by the doorway.

You should have seen me walking all the way home,
carrying a thankful smile at the thought of having things at my fingertips
even at this hour of the night.

There are only two things in my mind, squash rice noodle and squash rice noodle
as I took the elevator up.  Here it is. A proof of what was an imagination an hour ago.
Rice Noodle with Squash & Ground Pork



I put the frozen ground meat into a heated pot to defrost and cook.   Added two sliced onions to the oil that comes out of the meat.

    Added soy sauce to taste, let simmer and set aside.







Soaked the rice noodle in drinking water to soften.

Sliced half of the squash into thin pieces for lesser time to cook.


 In another pan, I heated  the chopped garlic in olive oil and added the thinly sliced squash.
                    Covered the pan and continued cooking for a while before adding 3 Tbsps. water.
                                                                  See photos 1 & 2



Photo 1

Photo 2





 To tell you the truth, reality slowly crept in as I put the drained rice noodle on top of the garlic heated in olive oil as in (Photo 1).  For sure I was in panic mode when I added this cooked squash on top because my logical mind meant to put the cooked ground meat at the bottom of the pan and layer the drained rice noodle on top to absorb whatever liquid the ground pork and onion mixture got, As in (Photo3) & (Photo4).
pretty mistake
Photo 3

Photo 4
 With all the necessary ingredients in its proper place, covered the pan to continue cooking and adjusted the heat to low.  Tossed and mixed evenly as you see on the top photo.


In retrospect, I have to admit that the whole process was not clear in my imagination.  This was another one of my spur of the moment attacks.  I am now having another thankful smile for my ever appreciative family.
It is in moments like this that I do not have to worry about time limits, grades and score.


There might be some ideas that come to mind as you read this blog.  Please feel free to share.
I still have a lot to learn about posting, organizing my thoughts and using the right words for clarity but I am not the kind to wait till I learned the whole thing because I know it is impossible to learn if I do not get myself exposed and be vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...