October 24, 2010

Fritter Away!

Sab-a banana is now to me
what a canned abalone imported from Hong Kong
was to my father years ago.

Plantain banana is the closest to it in variety
according to friends who can easily
get them whenever they crave for cooked bananas
away from home.

Here are some photos of the variety, an English name
of which I do not yet know.


This is how it looks when boiled.



It is typically cooked when green,
best eaten with forage fish pickled in brine.
(guinamos ba, sa ato pa )
It could be cooked when ripened for its faint sweet flavor
and soft, slightly glutinous texture.

Boiled with peelings, boiled unpeeled,
bar-b-qued in charcoal, candied or glaceed;
Countless ways for home-made fare,
can't be frivolous now when rare.

Sliced in half or a thin quarter,
deep fried ones, my heart hold dear.





As of now, three bags of three I see,
neatly piled in my freezer for the miser.

Not  today, fritters, there you shall stay.
Till I hear a phone call from dear friend, May.

Cooked the sago,
bought a taro,
diced them on my chopping board,
amused by my personal hoard.

Frozen slices of uncooked bananas.
Which is now...



"Init Nga Binignit"
 西米露香蕉粥 
                                       
CHOW!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, the binignit looks good, you can also add camote if you have it. Thanks for sharing becky. I also miss the sab-a bananas, in whatever way it is cooked.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...